yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift. That is why it is the present.

Try to live each day as it should be lived, with joy and gratitude, peppered with humility........

Friday 26 February 2010

Adventures with Huck


I was recently reintroduced to the fabulous world of Mark Twain's Huck and Tom by a dear friend, A. I loved the series as a child and it has brought back the most magical memories. Sitting in front of the fire, with my brother L, in the living room. Wrapped in a stiff but warm towel after a weekend bath. Mum would have made the grandest of floor picnics. Sandwiches from the roast chicken we'd had for dinner. Crisps, pork pies, mum's own cup cakes or delicious chocolate cake. I still have a burning passion for Mum's chocolate cake. Then we would sit and dry by the warmth of the fire while watching the Sunday evening episode of Huck Finn and friends. I still get that same contented warmth on hearing the theme tune. I still smell the freshness of the towels mingling with the soapy purity of our just washed limbs. The lemon tang of the giant bottle of family shampoo used to wash my long hair. I had hair so long and thick I used to sit on it. It was my Dad's pride and joy. Once warmed we would put on our Pj's and dad would start the lengthy process of combing it out. Tangle by tangle gently teasing it with his own comb that he kept in his back pocket (a habit he still has) finishing with a long rope like plait. Then snuggling into the crook of his arm to sail away with Jim and Huck on the raft for adventures...

This reintroduction has afforded me to bring the same magic to my own two. We sit with tea on our laps and indulge in an episode or two most evenings. They are being held enthralled by the tale. It is so refreshing to share something from my childhood that still holds the same innocent and simple magic it did all those years ago. A time where myself and my dear children sit and spend time together. This time has become precious and god forbid anyone who interrupts. Our time and it is sacred. We are planning to start the whole series from the start once we have finished to cling on to this time. I have also just purchased the books. When the series has run it's course we can sit and read them together by the light of the fire and lamp in the living room. Gentle calm and precious moments. I hope I have created a memory of security and safety in L and A's mind similar the that, that I hold dear myself.

Thank you to Mark Twain for the precious moments, and thank you to A for bringing them to me.

No comments:

Labels

A (2) acting (1) chickens (1) children (1) Fibromialgia (3) Garden (1) Georgie (2) insomnia (1) L (2) pain (1)

Followers

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews